Schools can offer a safe and familiar environment for a young person to access bereavement support. However there are some factors that will contribute to the success and engagement of the work. When a young person is referred for support with Eden’s Trust it would be helpful if schools could:
- Offer a space for a counsellor to meet with a young person that is confidential, comfortable and away from any distractions and disruptions
- Have clear processes in place with a named member of staff to report any safeguarding issues or concerns to
- Ensure counsellors know prior to a session that a young person is not available for counselling. We ask that you kindly give 24 hours notice
- Ensure that counsellor/client confidentiality is respected at all times
- Appoint a member of the school staff to act as a liaison with the counsellor to guarantee good contact and ensure that opportunities to review the counselling support offered are maintained throughout
- Offer opportunities for pastoral support to be available following the completion of the counselling to help support a bereaved child when needed.